Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Estimating Calorie Burn in Group Fitness Classes?

kiela64kiela64 Posts: 1,435Member Member Posts: 1,435Member Member
So I've been recovering from some injuries, and today my physiotherapist cleared me to try out some group fitness classes that are more core-focused, I think because there is less leg work.

I did one today that has a doozy of a name, core-butt-thighs & barre, but it was a really good class! It was definitely challenging for me, but thankfully not impossible.

I've realized that there aren't any generic entries for group fitness or core fitness classes. And I totally get that it's super individual and probably the hardest to estimate. I do have a fitness tracker (no HR monitor) and I didn't wear it today but I could in the future, but I didn't think they were so useful with floor work?

But if one was attempting to estimate, what sorts of things should you pay attention to? Time spent out of breath vs stretching? Is there an entry that would be recommended to guesstimate? Would you just enter it as 1 cal burned? Any thoughts appreciated!

Replies

• serindipteserindipte Posts: 1,557Member Member Posts: 1,557Member Member
    There are entries for aerobics. Maybe that?
  • kiela64kiela64 Posts: 1,435Member Member Posts: 1,435Member Member
    serindipte wrote: »
    There are entries for aerobics. Maybe that?

Maybe. About 20-30min of the class we were on the mat doing core work though. I thought aerobics was more like stepping and stuff? But I will admit I'm not really solid on what aerobics is exactly, except that it's done in the water sometimes and sometimes not....
  • FlyingMollyFlyingMolly Posts: 490Member Member Posts: 490Member Member
    I teach a low-key core class and my FitBit usually gives me 100-200 extra calories for the hour. I've been losing weight just marginally faster than my FitBit thinks I should, so I generally trust its estimates.

So it's likely not a huge calorie-burner, but it gets you an extra snack. More importantly, that kind of work can really improve your performance in lots of other athletic areas, so definitely worth doing! :)
    edited May 2018
    I teach a low-key core class and my FitBit usually gives me 100-200 extra calories for the hour. I've been losing weight just marginally faster than my FitBit thinks I should, so I generally trust its estimates.

So it's likely not a huge calorie-burner, but it gets you an extra snack. More importantly, that kind of work can really improve your performance in lots of other athletic areas, so definitely worth doing! :)

If you're teaching it, you probably do all of the exercises properly (whereas I took some breaks). Maybe I'd estimate 80-100 or so?

Yeah nothing I do is a massive calorie burner at this stage. I usually burn about 120-170 cal in a cycling or walking or swimming exercise. Maybe I'll wear my tracker next time, although I think the wrist band would get in the way. How do you wear yours?
  • FlyingMollyFlyingMolly Posts: 490Member Member Posts: 490Member Member
    kiela64 wrote: »

If you're teaching it, you probably do all of the exercises properly (whereas I took some breaks). Maybe I'd estimate 80-100 or so?

Yeah nothing I do is a massive calorie burner at this stage. I usually burn about 120-170 cal in a cycling or walking or swimming exercise. Maybe I'll wear my tracker next time, although I think the wrist band would get in the way. How do you wear yours?

I demo the exercises properly, but after the class gets started on each one I’ll often stop and watch, or walk around to check on people. I’m more likely to do the standing stuff with the class because we’re all facing each other then, but I think it probably evens out with the sitting around I do during other portions. ;) And the 100-200 is on top of my “active” level burn, so I’d give yourself credit for the hundred, at least. If you sweat, I would think walking for the same duration as the active part of the class would be a pretty decent comparison.

I’ve got one of the smaller Fitbits, and I wear it pretty loose on my non-dominant wrist for that stuff. I tighten it up for cycling or plyo, but for anything where I’m doing lots of transitions in and out of planks and tables I like to let it slide around. The only time it annoys me is doing that shoulder stretch where you put one arm up and one arm down and your hands (theoretically) meet behind your back, but I’ve found it pretty possible to avoid doing that most days, so it’s cool. ;)
    kiela64 wrote: »

I demo the exercises properly, but after the class gets started on each one I’ll often stop and watch, or walk around to check on people. I’m more likely to do the standing stuff with the class because we’re all facing each other then, but I think it probably evens out with the sitting around I do during other portions. ;) And the 100-200 is on top of my “active” level burn, so I’d give yourself credit for the hundred, at least. If you sweat, I would think walking for the same duration as the active part of the class would be a pretty decent comparison.

I’ve got one of the smaller Fitbits, and I wear it pretty loose on my non-dominant wrist for that stuff. I tighten it up for cycling or plyo, but for anything where I’m doing lots of transitions in and out of planks and tables I like to let it slide around. The only time it annoys me is doing that shoulder stretch where you put one arm up and one arm down and your hands (theoretically) meet behind your back, but I’ve found it pretty possible to avoid doing that most days, so it’s cool. ;)

I sweat absolute buckets in that class, but I’m a sweater to begin with and it’s not an air conditioned space :p

Alright, I think I’ll estimate 100cal for myself thanks :smiley: and I’ll try wearing my tracker next time to see if it’s too annoying.